From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 23:21:31
1 Dale wrote:
2 > But if we learned to much, we may be dangerous or something. Sometimes
3 > to much knowledge can be bad. lol
4 >
5 > I !think! I tried XFS once. If it was XFS, you need to have a UPS for
6 > sure. Every time the system crashed I had to re-install. I never got
7 > it to recover even once. I have heard the same thing about its defrag
8 > efficiency tho. Just don't trust it to much with my data.
9 >
10 > Dale
11 >
12 > :-) :-)
15 Not sure if you're talking about something else but I was talking about
16 ZFS[1], not XFS. ZFS is the latest filesystem from Sun which ships with
17 the later versions of Solaris/OpenSolaris. I don't want to be seen to
18 advertise it loads here, but it really is good. I recently moved my
19 fileserver to a solaris/ZFS box instead of raid on gentoo. Since then my
20 data hasn't been inaccessible once, and I haven't had the scary problems
21 like when gentoo decides to reboot and not bring my arrays back online :)
22
23 [1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS
24
25 Matt