From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] serial in /sys
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 03:49:10
1 On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 09:58:10AM +0000, Jorge Almeida wrote
2 > On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 3:09 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >
4 > > 1) For a USB mass storage device (pen or external hard drive) with N
5 > > partitions, the hotplug handler will get N+1 events when inserting and
6 > > also when removing. E.g. if your pen drive has 3 partitions, you'll get
7 > > 4 events...
8 >
9 > Right. The helper program is launched 4 times and will create (or remove,
10 > depending on $ACTION) 4 symlinks.
11
12 In my case, it would be 3 mounts. There's no point in mounting the
13 underlying /dev/sdd, unless it happens to be the weird Windows format
14 where the entire device is a FAT partition, with no partition table.
15
16 > I thought of keeping data-- (key,value) = (serial_number,
17 > custom_name_of_device)-- in a cdb database. I think it is faster than
18 > reading a text file, and no parsing needed. It is also scalable
19 > (although this is probably irrelevant on a custom-workstation
20 > scale...). My (untested) program is about 11k, statically compiled.
21
22 Come to think of it, I'd want to make it more general. I'd have my
23 script read through a textfile ("flat-file database") with 3 columns.
24
25 1) Attribute; one of "manufacturer", "product", or "serial"; are there
26 any others?
27
28 2) Value to match, i.e. manufacturer string, product name, or serial #.
29
30 3) The custom name I want my device to have
31
32 > By the way, I don't suppose there is a mailing list to talk about these
33 > matters (mdev/ udev-alternative/ udev-fork related)? This is really
34 > distro-agnostic stuff...
35
36 For mdev-related questions, the best place I know of is the busybox
37 mailing list http://lists.busybox.net/mailman/listinfo/busybox mdev is
38 part of busybox.
41 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>