From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrade from 5.4 to 5.10: oldconfig "Restart config..."
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 18:43:44
1 On Mon, 5 Apr 2021 19:04:18 +0100, antlists wrote:
2
3 > > For the uninitiated, the difference here is that olddefconfig will
4 > > accept the default configuration value for any new/changed options,
5 > > whereas oldconfig will prompt the user for input.
6 > >
7 > > The former is great if you just don't care and want to accept the
8 > > default, but it isn't right for every user.
11 > fwiw, I think I've always just copied the old .config across, then done
12 > "make menuconfig". I think that also just accepts defaults for anything
13 > new.
14
15 It doesn't, it prompts for every change, with the default preselected.
16 It's more time consuming than running make olddefconfig but it does give
17 you the chance to see what the new options are, and read the help if you
18 need more.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 Top Oxymorons Number 19: Passive aggression