From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommended pseudo-hardware for QEMU guest machine?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 03:11:20
1 waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
2
3 > I use the following script to boot up Gentoo on the guest. I cycled
4 > through all 4 cards...
5 >
6 > #!/bin/bash
7 > qemu-system-i386 -enable-kvm \
8 > -cpu host -display gtk -vga cirrus \
9 > -drive file=gentoo32.img,format=raw \
10 > -drive file=linuxswap.img,format=raw \
11 > -net nic,model=virtio \
12 > -rtc base=localtime,clock=host \
13 > -net user,hostname=gentoovm,hostfwd=tcp::2022-:22 \
14 > -m 3G -monitor stdio -name "Gentoo VM" \
15 > -parallel none \
16 > ${@
17
18 Today I tested the -smp option again. I already did this some months
19 ago with an older qemu version and there it seemed that it slows
20 things down. But now it makes my vm a lot snappier (qemu-2.4.1-r2).
21
22 On the guest the xubuntu xfce desktop is much more responsive and
23 firefox and all other apps are running a lot smoother when I use
24 "-smp 4" (my host CPU is a quadcore CPU).
25
26 I don't know for sure if this also effects the speed of the emulated
27 guest CPU (e.g. while compiling), but I think so.
30 Regards
31 wabe