From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommended pseudo-hardware for QEMU guest machine?
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 02:49:26
1 On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 04:47:35AM +0100, wabenbau@×××××.com wrote
2 > waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
3 >
4 > > I'm now at the configuring-the-kernel stage of the Gentoo guest
5 > > install. I had originally expected to pull in the .config from the
6 > > host machine, make a few tweaks, and get going. However, it appears
7 > > that multiple video and sound and network cards are supported, none
8 > > of which match those on the host. Which ones do people recommend
9 > > selecting?
12 > That's what I'm using to start qemu:
13 >
14 > qemu-system-x86_64 -machine accel=kvm -cpu host -m 4096 -enable-kvm -name vm-01 -net nic,model=virtio -net user,hostfwd=tcp::2022-:22 -localtime -hda /path/to/image.qcow2 -display gtk -vga vmware
15
16 I can't get X to work on the guest. Text console is OK, but no X. I
17 ticked support for cirrus, bochs, qxl, and vmware emulation in the guest
18 kernel. I wonder if I missed something. I also emerged the
19 corresponding X drivers. vmware was a pain because I had to rebuild mesa
20 and other stuff to emerge the vmware video driver.
21
22 File-attached are Xorg logs for failed attempts with vga=
23 cirrus/std/vmware. QEMU refused to start when I specified -vga qxl.
24 The vmware log looks like it started X properly, but it immediately
25 dumped me out, and gave an all-red QEMU window. I ssh'd in from the
26 host to set up the next card. I know that the all-red window was a text
27 console. To reboot, I blindly typed "su -", followed by root password,
28 followed by "halt -p", and the QEMU session halted.
29
30 I use the following script to boot up Gentoo on the guest. I cycled
31 through all 4 cards...
32
33 #!/bin/bash
34 qemu-system-i386 -enable-kvm \
35 -cpu host -display gtk -vga cirrus \
36 -drive file=gentoo32.img,format=raw \
37 -drive file=linuxswap.img,format=raw \
38 -net nic,model=virtio \
39 -rtc base=localtime,clock=host \
40 -net user,hostname=gentoovm,hostfwd=tcp::2022-:22 \
41 -m 3G -monitor stdio -name "Gentoo VM" \
42 -parallel none \
43 ${@
46 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
47 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications

cirrus.txt.gz application/octet-stream
std.txt.gz application/octet-stream
vmware.txt.gz application/octet-stream