From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommended pseudo-hardware for QEMU guest machine?
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 03:48:25
1 waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
2
3 > I'm now at the configuring-the-kernel stage of the Gentoo guest
4 > install. I had originally expected to pull in the .config from the
5 > host machine, make a few tweaks, and get going. However, it appears
6 > that multiple video and sound and network cards are supported, none
7 > of which match those on the host. Which ones do people recommend
8 > selecting?
11 That's what I'm using to start qemu:
12
13 qemu-system-x86_64 -machine accel=kvm -cpu host -m 4096 -enable-kvm -name vm-01 -net nic,model=virtio -net user,hostfwd=tcp::2022-:22 -localtime -hda /path/to/image.qcow2 -display gtk -vga vmware
14
15 Since upgrade to >=qemu-2.4 I cannot use sound card emulation any more
16 because it either doesn't work at all (e.g. sb16, gus) or it freezes
17 the guest (e.g. ac97, hda).
18
19 Before I did the upgrade yesterday I used -soundhw ac97 and it worked
20 very well. Till now I have not found a solution for this problem.
21
22 I'm using a gtk window and not spice or vnc because this gives me the
23 best performance. And I'm using vmware as VGA card emulation because
24 it gives me the highest resolution (2368x1770).
25
26 Performance is not super snappy but it's good enough for regular use
27 like browsing the net and so on.
30 Regards
31 wabe