From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenVPN setup
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:12:26
1 > > Thanks a lot for everyone's help. Here is a more to-the-point list of
2 > > what I'd like to accomplish:
3 > >
4 > > 1. encrypt CUPS printouts between remote server and local print server
5 > > 2. add an additional layer of security around SSH and CUPS on local
6 > > firewall/print server
7 > > 3. add an additional layer of security around SSH, IMAP, and
8 > > non-standard port HTTPS on remote server
9 > > 4. enable access to SMTP on remote server for me which is blocked by
10 > > my local ISP
11 > >
12 > > It sounds like I have 3 choices:
13 > >
14 > > 1. VPN
15 > > 2. SSH tunneling
16 > > 3. Zebedee tunneling
17 > >
18 > > Would all 3 of these choices accomplish all 4 requirements? I would
19 > > think SSH tunneling can't really add an additional layer around SSH.
20 >
21 > I'd just like to reiterate that most of those don't need any extra
22 > security. SSH and HTTPS are already secure, and IMAP and SMTP can be
23 > accessed over SSL (like HTTPS). These are all secure enough to be
24 > widely used without extra layers of encryption.
25
26 I'm surprised, but glad to hear this. I was under the impression that
27 opening services like SSH and CUPS to the internet was a bad idea. I
28 guess they're secure enough. That removes #2 and #3 from my 4-part
29 list above.
30
31 If I can print with CUPS via SSL and submit SMTP mail via alternate
32 port 587, I won't need a VPN or tunnel.
33
34 Thanks a lot for everyone's help. I'm going to start a new thread for
35 those topics.
36
37 - Grant
38 --