From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenVPN setup
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:55:59
1 On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 07:12 -0800, Grant wrote:
2 > > I'd just like to reiterate that most of those don't need any extra
3 > > security. SSH and HTTPS are already secure, and IMAP and SMTP can be
4 > > accessed over SSL (like HTTPS). These are all secure enough to be
5 > > widely used without extra layers of encryption.
6 >
7 > I'm surprised, but glad to hear this. I was under the impression that
8 > opening services like SSH and CUPS to the internet was a bad idea. I
9 > guess they're secure enough. That removes #2 and #3 from my 4-part
10 > list above.
11 >
12 > If I can print with CUPS via SSL and submit SMTP mail via alternate
13 > port 587, I won't need a VPN or tunnel.
14 >
15 > Thanks a lot for everyone's help. I'm going to start a new thread for
16 > those topics.
17
18 What wasn't mentioned is that SSL covers transport encryption, not
19 necessarily application security. What that means is if you open IMAP,
20 SMTP, CUPS, and SSH daemons over the internet then you also need to keep
21 (better) track of security vulnerabilities found in those applications,
22 and fix them as needed. SSL alone won't help you there. Whereas if
23 you're only running, say OpenVPN over the Internet then that's the only
24 application you gotta look out for.
25
26 Also, doing things such as running IMAP over SSL using accounts with
27 weak passwords doesn't gain you much either.
28
29 Just my 2 cents.
30
31 -a