From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Buying a low-cost printer for Linux
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 18:36:17
1 On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:18 AM, KH <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Albert Hopkins schrieb:
3 >> On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 19:44 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Does anyone have a good way of figuring out what printers that you can
6 >>> actually buy in the retail market place actually have support in
7 >>> Linux? I sure don't.
8 >>>
9 >>
10 >> [snip]
11 >>
12 >> My suggestion would be not go go cheap. Nowadays you can get a color
13 >> laser w/ built-in PostScript for around $400. The output is fast and
14 >> great (compared to ink jets) and It Just Works [tm] with Linux. I'd
15 >> rather spend the extra money and be happy with my choice, but that's
16 >> just me.
17 >>
18 >> -a
19 >>
20 > Some weeks ago I bought Samsung clp-300 color laser printer for less
21 > than 130 Euros. I use cups and I don't have any problems. Did not have
22 > to by new "color" jet. I have been told I can print 7000 pages before I
23 > have to :-)
24 > You can go cheap and good. The model is from 2006 or so.
25 >
26 > kh
30 Is it roughly this model?
31
32 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828112054
33
34 Do you plug this into a PC via USB or run it over the network using
35 the Ethernet port?
36
37 Any comments on the roller problem I had on my old laser printer? do
38 the paper rollers remain engaged when the printer isn't printing and
39 thus potentially cause flat spots?
40
41 Thanks,
42 Mark