From: Collins Richey <crichey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} External hard-drive choice
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 02:53:55
1 On 8/16/06, Ian Kabeary <omega21@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 8/15/06, Collins Richey <crichey@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > <snip>
9 > > According to the drive enclosure advertisements,
10 > > metal case is better for heat dissipation, but I have no hard
11 > > evidence. These units have the "standard" external AC->DC chunky
12 > > blocks.
16 > My enclosure is made of aluminum. Supposedly, you dont need a fan with an
17 > aluminum case. I was quite skeptical as I have seen a lot of other
18 > enclosures use fans, but while it does get rather warm, like the underside
19 > of a modern notebook, I have not had any issues with hard drives failing /
20 > being damaged / etc. Its a Vantec Nexstar 3.
21 > ~Ian
22
23 Ditto for mine - aluminum and not uncomforatablly warm. Since I only
24 need it for backups, I'm sure everything will be OK.
27 Collins Richey
28 If you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the worries
29 of tomorrow, you have no today to be thankful for.
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list