From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} External hard-drive choice
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 03:22:28
1 On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 08:49:43PM -0600, Penguin Lover Collins Richey squawked:
2 > >> According to the drive enclosure advertisements,
3 > >> metal case is better for heat dissipation, but I have no hard
4 > >> evidence. These units have the "standard" external AC->DC chunky
5 > >> blocks.
6 > >
7 > >My enclosure is made of aluminum. Supposedly, you dont need a fan with an
8 > >aluminum case. I was quite skeptical as I have seen a lot of other
9 > >enclosures use fans, but while it does get rather warm, like the underside
10 > >of a modern notebook, I have not had any issues with hard drives failing /
11 > >being damaged / etc. Its a Vantec Nexstar 3.
12 >
13 > Ditto for mine - aluminum and not uncomforatablly warm. Since I only
14 > need it for backups, I'm sure everything will be OK.
15
16 Again, thanks for all the feed back. I received my Nexstar 3 today
17 with a Seagate Barrucuda 320G harddrive. So far it works like a charm:
18 after backing up my entire system, a process that took roughly 6
19 hours, the drive was barely lukewarm, so I trust that it will have no
20 issues in the future with heat dissipation.
21
22 W
23 --
24 The NY Symphony and Schwarzenegger Enterprises have
25 merged. Their new logo reads: "I'll Be Bach, Will
26 You Be Haydn?".
27 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 21 days, 6:20
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list