From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Digest of gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org issue 1422 (76278-76327)
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 10:13:27
1 On Monday 03 March 2008, Uwe Thiem wrote:
2 > On Monday 03 March 2008, Stroller wrote:
3 > > On 3 Mar 2008, at 09:57, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
4 > > > On Monday 3 March 2008, Jan Seeger wrote:
5 > > >> NOTE: I don't speak spanish. But somehow, I read it thusly:
6 > > >> On Mon, 03. Mar, mvidela@××××××××.ar spammed my inbox with
7 > > >>
8 > > >>> todos los temas relacionados con soporte técnico
9 > > >>
10 > > >> all technical support requests (relations?)
11 > > >
12 > > > all technical support-related issues
13 > > >
14 > > > Ok, not that it changes much... :-)
15 > >
16 > > Noooo! It changes EVERYTHING!!
17 > >
18 > > "Issue" is word to describe an individual periodical in a series of
19 > > publications, and is a weasel-word when it's used as a synonym for
20 > > "problem".
21 >
22 > You are argueing about the English translation of a Spanish word, done
23 > by someone that most probably isn't a certified translator. The word
24 > at issue (please excuse the pun) isn't "issues" but the Spanish
25 > word "temas" - and I doubt it can be described as a weasel-word in
26 > this context.
27
28 Depending on the particular discipline context "issue" can also mean a risk
29 that has now been realised/manifested; the familiar "oh sh*t!" moment, e.g.
30 when you realised that rm -Rf / was not what you meant to have entered . . .
31 before that moment you had a risk, afterwards an "issue".
32
33 For the avoidance of doubt I suggest that we check what ISO 9001 defines the
34 term "issue" as. ;-)
35 --
36 Regards,
37 Mick