From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using lvm without a partition of type linux LVM
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 09:54:20
1 On 12/10/2013 03:51, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > The lvm handbook addendum is no longer and we are instead to use
3 > the software raid + lvm2 quick install guide.
4 >
5 > That guide makes a few partitions of type linux raid and then puts lvm
6 > on a mirrored set (more is done).
7 >
8 > I wasn't using raid so skipped that step and wound up with
9 > one partition as a pv in my single vg and created several lvs in that
10 > vg.
11 >
12 > So far so good. But I realized that the single partition that I used
13 > was of type linux instead of linux lvm as I had always done when
14 > following the lvm handbook addendum.
15 >
16 > So what, I've made plenty of mistakes before, and will surely make
17 > plenty more later.
18 >
19 > But the resulting system works perfectly!
20 >
21 > If this is risky; I can reinstall. But I wonder if any action is
22 > necessary.
23 >
24 > What do you think?
25 > allan
29 partition type is mostly meaningless, useful only to document your
30 intent. It's something MS-DOS made use of, everything else not so much.
31
32 Some software packages may read the type attribute and make their own
33 decisions based on that, but for the most part stuff just works, as you
34 found.
35
36 It makes so much more sense for software to examine the partition
37 itself, or read the signature it left at the beginning of the partition
38 to find out what it is, rather than relying on some weird arcane flag
39 set somewhere else.
44 Alan McKinnon
45 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com