From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT?} What happened to iexplore in wine?
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:53:11
1 >> I haven't used wine's /usr/bin/iexplore to test a website in IE for a
2 >> while, and now it looks like that binary is no longer installed.  Does
3 >> anyone know how to get it, or if there is a replacement of some sort?
4 >> I looked at the files installed by wine in /usr/bin but didn't see
5 >> anything.
6 >
7 > In my experience, even when IE works in Wine it doesn't work exactly
8 > the same as it does on a real Windows machine. I think a much more
9 > reliable way to test things in IE is to download the free XP and Vista
10 > virtual machine images from Microsoft which are intended for exactly
11 > this purpose:
12 > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=21eabb90-958f-4b64-b5f1-73d0a413c8ef&displaylang=en
13 >
14 > And here's someone's blog about converting the VirtualPC hard drive
15 > image into other formats for use on Linux in Virtualbox:
16 > http://www.abdevelopment.ca/blog/running-microsofts-ie-application-compatibility-images-virtualbox
17 >
18 > Rather than downloading several virtual machine images, you could just
19 > download one and install IETester into it:
20 > http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage
21 > which lets you do browsing with IE versions from 5.5 through 8 and
22 > side-by-side comparisons between versions.
23
24 Thanks Paul. I'll set this up ASAP. Virtualbox didn't work for me
25 the last time I tried but that was a while ago.
26
27 - Grant