From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT?} What happened to iexplore in wine?
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 21:33:46
1 On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 7:02 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I haven't used wine's /usr/bin/iexplore to test a website in IE for a
3 > while, and now it looks like that binary is no longer installed. Does
4 > anyone know how to get it, or if there is a replacement of some sort?
5 > I looked at the files installed by wine in /usr/bin but didn't see
6 > anything.
7
8 In my experience, even when IE works in Wine it doesn't work exactly
9 the same as it does on a real Windows machine. I think a much more
10 reliable way to test things in IE is to download the free XP and Vista
11 virtual machine images from Microsoft which are intended for exactly
12 this purpose:
13 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=21eabb90-958f-4b64-b5f1-73d0a413c8ef&displaylang=en
14
15 And here's someone's blog about converting the VirtualPC hard drive
16 image into other formats for use on Linux in Virtualbox:
17 http://www.abdevelopment.ca/blog/running-microsofts-ie-application-compatibility-images-virtualbox
18
19 Rather than downloading several virtual machine images, you could just
20 download one and install IETester into it:
21 http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage
22 which lets you do browsing with IE versions from 5.5 through 8 and
23 side-by-side comparisons between versions.