From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems setting up sshd on an installation kernel
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 20:18:43
1 Hi, Mick,
2
3 On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 04:28:10PM +0000, Mick wrote:
4 > On Sunday 06 December 2009 14:48:36 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5
6 > > Is there anything I can do to get sshd working from this kernel (and
7 > > if so, what?), or is there something fundamentally wrong with the
8 > > kernel configuration?
9
10 > Not sure if this is a kernel problem. Have you tried to set up a user
11 > account and passwd then login as a plain user over ssh and then su to
12 > root?
13
14 No. Could that make a difference? It is prompting me for my key's
15 passphrase and accepts it; it is failing to create a pseudo terminal.
16
17 > Alternatively, check /etc/ssh/sshd_config to see if root logins are
18 > disabled as a default.
19
20 They are explicitly permitted. I set up sshd_config myself.
21
22 > While you're there you may also/first want to disable pam for ssh just in case
23 > it interferes with the root login.
24
25 Er, pam? That's when my ssh client prompts me for my pass phrase, isn't
26 it?
27
28 > Regards,
29 > Mick