From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems setting up sshd on an installation kernel
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 00:02:04
1 On Sunday 06 December 2009 20:23:39 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hi, Mick,
3 >
4 > On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 04:28:10PM +0000, Mick wrote:
5 > > On Sunday 06 December 2009 14:48:36 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
6 > > > Is there anything I can do to get sshd working from this kernel (and
7 > > > if so, what?), or is there something fundamentally wrong with the
8 > > > kernel configuration?
9 > >
10 > > Not sure if this is a kernel problem. Have you tried to set up a user
11 > > account and passwd then login as a plain user over ssh and then su to
12 > > root?
13 >
14 > No. Could that make a difference? It is prompting me for my key's
15 > passphrase and accepts it; it is failing to create a pseudo terminal.
16
17 I was trying to take out of the equation user access issues.
18
19 > > Alternatively, check /etc/ssh/sshd_config to see if root logins are
20 > > disabled as a default.
21 >
22 > They are explicitly permitted. I set up sshd_config myself.
23
24 OK
25
26 > > While you're there you may also/first want to disable pam for ssh just in
27 > > case it interferes with the root login.
28 >
29 > Er, pam? That's when my ssh client prompts me for my pass phrase, isn't
30 > it?
31
32 No, it's when it asks/expects a user passwd which I wasn't sure that you set
33 up beforehand.
34
35 Typically, one would create a user and set up passwd both for user and root
36 locally, then start screen as the user and detach it, login remotely with ssh
37 and chroot from that point on. If as you said in previous message you are
38 trying to do this from within the chrooted environment then things may be more
39 complicated. I can't recall ever trying that to know how or why it fails.
40 --
41 Regards,
42 Mick