From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] heads-up: 2011-05-01 baselayout news
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 08:27:00
1 Mick wrote:
2
3 > On Monday 02 May 2011 12:52:12 Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > > Mick writes:
5
6 > > > Thanks. Not sure if there is a difference between an env.d variable
7 > > > and a profile.d variable.
8 > >
9 > > None you will notice, both /etc/profile.env and scripts in
10 > > /etc/profile.d/ are sourced in /etc/profile. profile.env contains all
11 > > stuff in /etc/env.d/ after you ran env-update.
12 >
13 > Hmm ... I initially set up a file in /etc/profile.d/99editor with
14 >
15 > EDITOR="/usr/bin/vim"
16 >
17 > in it. Upon reboot I still got:
18 >
19 > echo $EDITOR
20 > /bin/nano
21
22 I looked into /etc/profile, and right at the bottom it does this:
23
24 for sh in /etc/profile.d/*.sh ; do
25 [ -r "$sh" ] && . "$sh"
26 done
27 unset sh
28
29 So the file needs to have the .sh suffix.
30
31 > So, I thought of moving it into /etc/env.d/97editor. Upon another reboot
32 > (troubleshooting network problems) I again found out that nano is my
33 > default editor ... neither locations seem to being read at boot time?
34 >
35 > Running env-update && source /etc/profile did not make any difference.
36 >
37 > Is the number prefix important? Does it have to be 99editor? If so, how
38 > does one discover the correct number for each variable?
39
40 Maybe the 99 is what eselect wants the number to be. If you manage files in
41 there yourself, I think it should not matter. The result of env-update in
42 /etc/profile.env is sorted alphabetically, so the order of file in
43 /etc/env.d should not matter, I think.
46 > > I do not manually change things in env.d, but with 'eselect editor set
47 > > <n>' you can create a file /etc/env.d/99editor which will set the
48 > > EDITOR variable to the editor you gave eselect as argument. Enter
49 > > eselect editor list to se what's available, or just give the editor
50 > > path as argument to eselect.
51 >
52 > # eselect editor list
53 > Available targets for the EDITOR variable:
54 > [1] /bin/nano
55 > [2] /usr/bin/ex
56 > [3] /usr/bin/vi
57 > [ ] (free form)
58 >
59 > What does the "[ ] (free form)" above refer to?
60
61 That you can specify any other binary as editor if you like, with "eselect
62 editor set /path/to/my/editor".
63
64 > > > I've added mine to /etc/profile.d for now. I'll
65 > > > see what gives when I reboot.
66 > >
67 > > A relogin would be enough. Or '. /etc/profile' in the shell, this is
68 > > what eselects suggests to do. Or bash -l, or xterm -ls.
69 >
70 > Yep, setting the EDITOR using eselect works fine.
71
72 Hooray!
73
74 Wonko