From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] heads-up: 2011-05-01 baselayout news
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 09:08:40
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 10:25 on Thursday 05 May 2011, Alex Schuster
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > > Is the number prefix important? Does it have to be 99editor? If so, how
5 > > does one discover the correct number for each variable?
6 >
7 > Maybe the 99 is what eselect wants the number to be. If you manage files
8 > in there yourself, I think it should not matter. The result of env-update
9 > in /etc/profile.env is sorted alphabetically, so the order of file in
10 > /etc/env.d should not matter, I think.
11
12 The number is only important inasmuch as it sets the order the files will be
13 read. Normally, this is not an issue but you can use it to override an earlier
14 setting by putting the correct one in a file starting with a higher number.
15
16 If EDITOR is being reset and you can't find it, it's probably being done in
17 ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile
18
19 "grep ~" and "grep /etc" are your friends
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com