From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Latest unstable ntp not generating ntp.drift file.
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 18:19:51
1 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > Notice the difference in ntptrace between mine below and yours? The
3 > asterisk in your ntpq table indicates that is the chosen server - but
4 > not that it is actually locked to it - ntptrace is showing it is not
5 > locked.
6 >
7 > rattus ~ # ntptrace
8 > localhost: stratum 6, offset 0.001309, synch distance 0.160683
9 > moriah: stratum 5, offset -0.004895, synch distance 0.155622
10 > dns.iinet.net.au: stratum 4, offset 0.001463, synch distance 0.135967
11 > ***Association ID 60244 unknown to server
12 > rattus ~ #
13 >
14 > Did you try the tinker panic 0 or -g arguments I suggested earlier? A
15 > third option is to increase the slew window rather than stepping - the
16 > default slew is less than what you are trying to force it to do so it
17 > fails and gives up.
18 >
19 > rattus ~ # ntptrace
20 > localhost: stratum 6, offset 0.001309, synch distance 0.160683
21 > moriah: stratum 5, offset -0.004895, synch distance 0.155622
22 > dns.iinet.net.au: stratum 4, offset 0.001463, synch distance 0.135967
23 > ***Association ID 60244 unknown to server
24 > rattus ~ #
27 > I would suggest stopping ntpd and modifying the ntp.conf file as
28 > suggested, deleting /etc/adjtime and the drift file then rebooting. Run
29 > for a few hours and see if it still jumps time. ntpd will correct some
30 > extreem time issues but it needs to be properly configured.
31 >
32 > If it is actually jumping time rather than incorrect
33 > drift/slew/adjustime issues then you need to track down why - good luck
34 > with that! So far all I am seeing is a clock thats off too far to
35 > correct and isnt being allowed to correct by the config
36 >
37 > BillK
41 I added the -g option but have no idea why that will change anything.
42 According to the man page, it is for when the clock is more than 1000s
43 off which makes it outside the range ntp will change. Mine is off only
44 a few seconds and most of the time less than one second. So I fail to
45 understand why this option is going to do any good here. Maybe you can
46 explain it more?
47
48 It ran all night and most of this morning. It's still resetting like it
49 has in the past but not like on my old rig. Before I went to sleep I
50 reset the drift-file to about half what it set it to. It set it back to
51 500 so it is changing.
52
53 So, ntp can set the clock, it can change the drift file value but it
54 can't adjust the clock cycles to speed it up or slow it down. I think
55 I'm missing something in the kernel or something. I may compare my
56 kernel config files later on when I get some time. Try to rule that out.
57
58 Dale
59