From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Latest unstable ntp not generating ntp.drift file.
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 23:07:48
1 Dale wrote:
2 > I added the -g option but have no idea why that will change anything.
3 > According to the man page, it is for when the clock is more than 1000s
4 > off which makes it outside the range ntp will change. Mine is off
5 > only a few seconds and most of the time less than one second. So I
6 > fail to understand why this option is going to do any good here.
7 > Maybe you can explain it more?
8 >
9 > It ran all night and most of this morning. It's still resetting like
10 > it has in the past but not like on my old rig. Before I went to sleep
11 > I reset the drift-file to about half what it set it to. It set it
12 > back to 500 so it is changing.
13 >
14 > So, ntp can set the clock, it can change the drift file value but it
15 > can't adjust the clock cycles to speed it up or slow it down. I think
16 > I'm missing something in the kernel or something. I may compare my
17 > kernel config files later on when I get some time. Try to rule that
18 > out.
19 >
20 > Dale
21 >
25 I added the -g option and it has been running all day. It's no
26 different than it was. It's still syncing often and off by more than it
27 should be as well.
28
29 Any other ideas?
30