From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system.map file in /boot. How to manage?
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 15:04:53
1 On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 09:41:27 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > grub-mkconfig only reads the files, it is the make install step of
4 > > kernel installation that takes care of copying the files to /boot
5 > > with the correct version numbers. ISTR Dale prefers to copy the
6 > > kernel files manually, which is why his System.map is not versioned.
7
8 > I do copy mine manually.  It's how it was done when I first started
9 > using Gentoo and I just stuck with it, it works.  It's just one
10 > additional file.  Thing is, I may read up on the script way of doing
11 > things.  It may help make dracut and grub-mkconfig happy.  Sometimes I
12 > have to fiddle with names to get them both happy.  I suspect the script
13 > tools handle that with ease.
14
15 make install names the files in a way that dracut and grub-mkconfig
16 recognise. Just run make install after make modules install. You've let
17 the makefile copy all the other files, you may as well let it handle the
18 final two :)
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 By the time you can make ends meet, they move the ends.