From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system.map file in /boot. How to manage?
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 14:41:35
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 13:16:29 +0200, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
3 >
4 >> Same here. And whenever I configure a new kernel my kernel managing
5 >> script makes sure both, the kernel I'm currenty running on and the one
6 >> just configured are in "@world". That way "emerge --depclean" will nev-
7 >> er remove a kernel package.
8 > You can also do that with sets. Add this to sets.conf
9 >
10 > [kernels]
11 > class = portage.sets.dbapi.OwnerSet
12 > world-candidate = False
13 > files = /usr/src
14 >
15 > add emerge -n @kernels once. Then depclean will never touch a kernel
16 > source package.
17 >
18 >>> ...
19 >>>   Should I version the
20 >>> system.map file the same as kernels?
21 >> Not sure about that. Mine ARE versioned. That's probably what "grub-
22 >> mkconfig" is doing by default.
23 > grub-mkconfig only reads the files, it is the make install step of kernel
24 > installation that takes care of copying the files to /boot with the
25 > correct version numbers. ISTR Dale prefers to copy the kernel files
26 > manually, which is why his System.map is not versioned.
31 I do copy mine manually.  It's how it was done when I first started
32 using Gentoo and I just stuck with it, it works.  It's just one
33 additional file.  Thing is, I may read up on the script way of doing
34 things.  It may help make dracut and grub-mkconfig happy.  Sometimes I
35 have to fiddle with names to get them both happy.  I suspect the script
36 tools handle that with ease.
37
38 Now I got to go find that signature about the cat and free bagpipes.  I
39 want to send that to a friend.  She'll get a kick out of that.  lol
40
41 Dale
42