From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system.map file in /boot. How to manage?
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 14:29:06
1 On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 13:16:29 +0200, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
2
3 > Same here. And whenever I configure a new kernel my kernel managing
4 > script makes sure both, the kernel I'm currenty running on and the one
5 > just configured are in "@world". That way "emerge --depclean" will nev-
6 > er remove a kernel package.
7
8 You can also do that with sets. Add this to sets.conf
9
10 [kernels]
11 class = portage.sets.dbapi.OwnerSet
12 world-candidate = False
13 files = /usr/src
14
15 add emerge -n @kernels once. Then depclean will never touch a kernel
16 source package.
17
18 > > ...
19 > >   Should I version the
20 > > system.map file the same as kernels?
21 >
22 > Not sure about that. Mine ARE versioned. That's probably what "grub-
23 > mkconfig" is doing by default.
24
25 grub-mkconfig only reads the files, it is the make install step of kernel
26 installation that takes care of copying the files to /boot with the
27 correct version numbers. ISTR Dale prefers to copy the kernel files
28 manually, which is why his System.map is not versioned.
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 Suborbital Ballistic-Propulsion Engineer
35 Not Exactly A Rocket Scientist