From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Memory cards and deleting files.
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 14:21:46
1 Franz Fellner wrote:
2 > On Sat Jun 20 12:09:02 2020, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I then right clicked on the
4 >> directory and chose move to trash.
5 > Never tried deleting just single files?
6 > Probably you need to wait longer, those cards are slow.
7 > I personally do not like to use "move to trash" as the copy takes ages.
8 > In dolphin you also have "Delete" now (probably you need to press shift
9 > to turn the "trash" menu item into a "delete")
10 >
11 > Formatting usually is the fastest way to get rid of everything on the cards.
16 The cards I use are class 10, slow but pretty fast for the type of
17 card.  Generally, I can download several hundred MBs in a minute or
18 two.  Deleting sometimes over a 1,000 pics one at a time just isn't
19 feasible.  That could take a long time.  I'm not sure it would give a
20 different result either.  Doing a rm -rfv has always worked in the
21 past.  I've never had it fail on a regular hard drive.  I might add,
22 even tho I use a wildcard, it still shows it is deleting each file
23 individually.
24
25 I think the thing that makes the most sense so far, bad file system and
26 it needs to be reformatted.  It's been a while since I've reformatted
27 them and this type of cards is known to have weird issues.  If it
28 continues after that, new card it is.
29
30 Dale
31