From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE ruby_targets_ruby20
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 22:19:13
1 On 15/11/2013 23:58, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-11-15 3:01 PM, Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Follow these steps:
4 >>
5 >> 0. undo whatever you did
6 >
7 > Already did...
8 >
9 >> 1. emerge --sync
10 >>
11 >> 2. echo =sys-block/thin-provisioning-tools-0.2.8-r1 ~amd64 >>
12 >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
13 >>
14 >> 3. update your system
15 >
16 > Or, I could just echo sys-fs/lvm2 -thin /etc/portage/package.use
17 >
18 > Now, the question is, what the heck is thin-provisioning in lvm2, am I
19 > using it, and if not, do I need it?
20 >
21 > I'm pretty sure I'm not using it, but how to be sure?
25 Google for "thin-provisioning+in+lvm2", first three hits.
26
27 In a nutshell, you can define an LV without actually allocating the
28 storage yet that you are not using, it gets allocated "on demand" if you
29 will.
30
31 It's similar in concept to the general idea behind sparse files, lazy
32 initialization, fixed size vs dynamically allocated disks for VMs and do
33 on: allocate a resource only when you need it.
34
35 This lets you over-commit storage space as much of it is not being used
36 in practice.
37
38 If you use thin provisioning, you already know it. There are steps you
39 must take to put it to use.
43 Alan McKinnon
44 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com