From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: LVM - is thin provisioning used? - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] USE ruby_targets_ruby20
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:51:08
1 On 2013-11-15 5:18 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 15/11/2013 23:58, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> Now, the question is, what the heck is thin-provisioning in lvm2, am I
4 >> using it, and if not, do I need it?
5 >>
6 >> I'm pretty sure I'm not using it, but how to be sure?
7
8 > If you use thin provisioning, you already know it. There are steps you
9 > must take to put it to use.
10
11 Ok, just to complete this thread (I didn't like this answer when it was
12 presented - what if I inherited this system? Or, in this case, I
13 installed it 8+ years ago, and don't remember for certain *what* I did,
14 since it was my first time with any linux distro, much less gentoo?)...
15
16 So, a simple question on the lvm list reveals:
17
18 lvs -o segtype
19
20 will return 'thin' or 'thin-pool' for thin provisioned, or 'linear' (as
21 mine did) for thick...