From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE: unwanted dependencies
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 13:51:10
1 On 13/09/2013 21:35, Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
2 > On 13.09.2013 14:14, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 13/09/2013 12:10, Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
4 >>> Hi people,
5 >>>
6 >>> I am about to update KDE from 4.10.4 to 4.11.1.
7 >>> Is it possible to avoid installing various nepomuks and akonadis which
8 >>
9 >> No
10 >
11 > Pity.
12 >
13 >>> appear to be required now? I have set USE=-semantic-desktop but it
14 >>> doesn't seem to help.
15 While the USE flag has disappeared, you could try putting nepomuk and
16 akonadi into your package.provided file.
17
18 >>> My current KDE installation is quite happy without that stuff (which
19 >>> also brings along tons of other crap).
22 >> The KDE maintainers posted quite extensively about this some time back.
23 >
24 > Some time back I heard that KDE devs were striving to make KDE more
25 > modular.
26 KDE upstream is, yes, and how this will affect semantic-desktop remains
27 to be seen.
28
29 >> It is too hard to try and extract semantic-desktop out of the KDE build
30 >> whilst not breaking everything else. What you now do is allow the stuff
31 >> to be built, and disable the function in System Settings.
32 >
33 > Well why wasn't it too hard before? It's not quite obvious why one's got
34 > to "extract" some additional functionality, as opposed to including it
35 > when needed. A strange approach, all in all.
36 The decision to remove the USE flag happened mostly because it maintain,
37 and was in general not well supported anyway.
38
39 There have been a number of proposals about the situation: do nothing,
40 do a full revert, or implement some compromise. I would hope that we
41 make a final decision about this before stabilising any 4.11 version.
42
43 > BTW, it seems that mysql is also a hard dependency for QT now. At least,
44 > the average joe can't be scorned any more for not having a "server". Hey
45 > to all localhost admins! :)
46 That shouldn't be the case. The default akonadi backend is mysql, why
47 could explain why it's being pulled in.