From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new gentoo installed but can't boot: "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk And Press Enter"
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:54:00
1 On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 12:06:57AM -0700, michael@×××××××××××××.com wrote
2
3 > Thanks for the idea. As I've said, I've been using this computer pretty
4 > solidly with no indication, but that's not to say it can't happen.
5 >
6 > Your suggestion made me look at the BIOS boot stage and I notice that my
7 > hard drive is not reported during the BIOS boot. I have no problems
8 > running fdisk or mounting, but when booting the BIOS does not report it.
9 > What could cause this? Perhaps as you suggest?
10
11 Can you check the jumpers on the drive? In the old days, there were
12 just "master" and "slave". Now there's a 3rd option "cable select",
13 which may be abbreviated as "CS". It works "automagically" with Windows
14 but it does *NOT* work with linux. If the jumper is set CS, set it to
15 master and try booting from it again.
18 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
19 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
20 --
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list