From: michael@×××××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new gentoo installed but can't boot: "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk And Press Enter"
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:12:31
1 Thanks for the suggestion, Walter. Yes, I did have the jumper set to
2 "master", as appropriate. But see my next post.
3
4 Michael
7 On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Walter Dnes wrote:
8
9 > On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 12:06:57AM -0700, michael@×××××××××××××.com wrote
10 >
11 >> Thanks for the idea. As I've said, I've been using this computer pretty
12 >> solidly with no indication, but that's not to say it can't happen.
13 >>
14 >> Your suggestion made me look at the BIOS boot stage and I notice that my
15 >> hard drive is not reported during the BIOS boot. I have no problems
16 >> running fdisk or mounting, but when booting the BIOS does not report it.
17 >> What could cause this? Perhaps as you suggest?
18 >
19 > Can you check the jumpers on the drive? In the old days, there were
20 > just "master" and "slave". Now there's a 3rd option "cable select",
21 > which may be abbreviated as "CS". It works "automagically" with Windows
22 > but it does *NOT* work with linux. If the jumper is set CS, set it to
23 > master and try booting from it again.
24 >
25 > --
26 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
27 > My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca