From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo Rules
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:54:03
1 > >> > Lately I've been shopping around for other distros as well as looking
2 > >> > at *BSD. Gentoo development seems to have slowed way down and I like
3 > >> > things being improved as quickly as possible. FreeBSD is supposed to
4 > >> > be the closest relation, but even that won't do. I don't think there
5 > >> > is anything as satisfying as Gentoo out there. The concept is second
6 > >> > to none, the execution of that concept is fantastic, but it needs to
7 > >> > keep moving forward. What is the next step? Or should we keep
8 > >> > treading water?
9 > >> >
10 > >> > - Grant
11 > >>
12 > >> I love gentoo and can't settle for anything else. What can I do to
13 > >> make sure development doesn't stop?
14 > >
15 > > Let me in on that. What can I do too?
16 >
17 > There are plenty of things that can be done, depending on what kind of
18 > skills you bring with you. And please note that those skills need not be
19 > technical in order to help out. Just some things off the top of my head:
20 >
21 > * participate in the community (e.g. here or in the forums) to help
22 > others with Gentoo things
23 > * participate on bugs.gentoo.org by adding relevant comments to bugs,
24 > trying to fix bugs, providing new ebuilds or patches (and bugday is a
25 > good way to get started with that: http://bugday.gentoo.org/)
26 > * help out the documentation teams to maintain the current information or
27 > create new stuff and possible translate it
28 > * help out with Gentoo artwork
29 > * help out with the organization of Gentoo stuff such as events and PR
30 > * becoming a developer: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/staffing-
31 > needs/
32 > * that one thing that you can do really well but that I forgot to list
33 > here
34
35 What keeps an army of developers from putting in more time on a cool
36 project? I'll bet there are many Gentoo developers who would rather
37 work on Gentoo than most other things. These developers who pretty
38 much *are* Gentoo aren't able to focus on Gentoo because living costs
39 money and Gentoo doesn't pay.
40
41 Multiple great ideas have already been suggested in this thread. Is
42 this the first time they've been conceived and shared? Why hasn't
43 work begun on them? Why isn't work completed on them? Because living
44 costs money and Gentoo doesn't pay.
45
46 I've been in business for 7 years and I'd like to take a shot at
47 designing a system that would pay Gentoo developers to develop.
48
49 Flame me. I can take it. Long live Gentoo.
50
51 - Grant
52 --
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list