From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo Rules
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 09:08:53
1 On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:56:41 -0800, Grant wrote:
2
3 >> > Lately I've been shopping around for other distros as well as looking
4 >> > at *BSD. Gentoo development seems to have slowed way down and I like
5 >> > things being improved as quickly as possible. FreeBSD is supposed to
6 >> > be the closest relation, but even that won't do. I don't think there
7 >> > is anything as satisfying as Gentoo out there. The concept is second
8 >> > to none, the execution of that concept is fantastic, but it needs to
9 >> > keep moving forward. What is the next step? Or should we keep
10 >> > treading water?
11 >> >
12 >> > - Grant
13 >>
14 >> I love gentoo and can't settle for anything else. What can I do to
15 >> make sure development doesn't stop?
16 >
17 > Let me in on that. What can I do too?
18
19 There are plenty of things that can be done, depending on what kind of
20 skills you bring with you. And please note that those skills need not be
21 technical in order to help out. Just some things off the top of my head:
22
23 * participate in the community (e.g. here or in the forums) to help
24 others with Gentoo things
25 * participate on bugs.gentoo.org by adding relevant comments to bugs,
26 trying to fix bugs, providing new ebuilds or patches (and bugday is a
27 good way to get started with that: http://bugday.gentoo.org/)
28 * help out the documentation teams to maintain the current information or
29 create new stuff and possible translate it
30 * help out with Gentoo artwork
31 * help out with the organization of Gentoo stuff such as events and PR
32 * becoming a developer: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/staffing-
33 needs/
34 * that one thing that you can do really well but that I forgot to list
35 here
36
37 Feel free to drop me an email off-list if you'd like to discuss what you
38 can do for Gentoo.
39
40 Kind regards,
41