From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Loading Issue
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2020 08:30:45
1 On Saturday, 7 March 2020 00:57:37 GMT Colleen Beamer wrote:
2 > On 2020-02-15 8:48 a.m., Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
3 > > On Fri, Feb 14, 2020, at 15:03, Colleen Beamer wrote:
4 > >> Hi,
5 > >>
6 > >> There seems to be a problem with loading MySQL. During the boot process
7 > >> when it comes to the loading of MySQL it hangs. Is there a way to
8 > >> bypass the loading of MySQL so the computer will complete booting and I
9 > >> can make sure I've gotten everything that I want off of it before I wipe
10 > >> it?>
11 > > Probably the easiest way would be to download the gentoo boot CD or the
12 > > LiveCD of another Linux distro, boot the computer w/ the LiveCD, mount
13 > > the hard drive, and see if there's anything you need that way.
14 > >
15 > > Once you're booted from a LiveCD, you could also chroot into your Gentoo
16 > > install and prevent MySQL starting on boot with OpenRC/systemd if you
17 > > wanted to reboot from Gentoo and look at your files from Gentoo.
18 > >
19 > > Alec
20 >
21 > I've downloaded the Gentoo Live CD and managed to mount the hard drive
22 > on my computer. However, I can't figure out how to get any files that I
23 > want off the computer. I put a blank CD in the drive, but it won't let
24 > me write to it. I've also tried using a USB hard drive that I have, but
25 > it won't let me mount it. I've never actually used a Live CD for
26 > recovery purposes so, I'm at a bit of a loss here. The second
27 > suggestion would be okay, but I don't know how to do that.
28 >
29 > Colleen
30
31 You don't mention what commands you tried and what was the output.
32
33 In any case, to mount a USB drive which is probably more versatile than the
34 limited space of a CD:
35
36 1. Create a directory to mount your USB device under:
37
38 mkdir /mnt/myusb
39
40 2. Check dmesg to find out what the USB drive is recognised as, by the kernel.
41
42 dmesg | tail
43
44 3. Mount it (assuming it was recognised as '/dev/sdb1'):
45
46 mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/myusb
47
48 4. Mount desired directories and copy stuff over, excluding any subdirectories
49 you're not interested in, e.g.:
50
51 mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo/home/colleen
52
53 rsync -av --progress --safe-links --exclude={".cache/*",".gvfs/*",".local/
54 share/gvfs-metadata/*","/lost+found"} /mnt/gentoo/home/colleen/ /mnt/myusb
57 Check you've copied over successfully what you wanted, then unmount the USB
58 and shutdown the PC (unless you want to wipe its hard drive first).
59
60 5. sync && umount /dev/sdb1
61
62 An alternative approach would be to set a root user passwd, start sshd, then
63 copy the files over the LAN to another PC using rsync, or scp.
64
65 If you get any problems please be more specific on what action you took and
66 what was the error printed out.
67
68 HTH.