From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Should I be worried that I won't be able to dual boot in Gentoo?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 15:57:59
1 On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:56:20 +0530
2 Nilesh Govindarajan <contact@××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon 26 Sep 2011 08:51:17 PM IST, James Broadhead wrote:
5 > > On 26 September 2011 16:01, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >> I don't know if you have seen this. Given that we're moving into
7 > >> UEFI boot what are the workarounds to compensate for Microsoft's
8 > >> efforts to exclude other operating systems from available hardware?
9 > >
10 > > My opinion is that signed boot is probably on its way (despite not
11 > > actually offering much in the way of security, as the Apple Battery
12 > > hack has shown), and so we'll enter an era where you have the option
13 > > between a fully-signed system (Windows 9 / OS XI or so) or a cracked
14 > > boot, with little in the way of switching between the two, at least
15 > > initially
16 > >
17 > > I know which one I'd pick if it came down to it :)
18 >
19 > And you really need not worry about it, some geek (Torvalds?) will
20 > surely find out a way.
23 As this is being touted a win8 feature (with win8 set for release
24 sometime in 2012), I predict this will be defeated before the first
25 win8 machine hits the stores -- just like product keys, slic, and wga.
26 Also it's probably safe to predict this "secure boot" scheme will end up
27 being another vector for windows malware.
30 caveat utilitor