From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Should I be worried that I won't be able to dual boot in Gentoo?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:09:34
1 On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:56:20 +0530
3 > Nilesh Govindarajan <contact@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > As this is being touted a win8 feature (with win8 set for release
6 > sometime in 2012), I predict this will be defeated before the first
7 > win8 machine hits the stores -- just like product keys, slic, and wga.
8 > Also it's probably safe to predict this "secure boot" scheme will end up
9 > being another vector for windows malware.
10
11 Actually, that's the point of it; the BIOS doesn't allow programmatic
12 manipulation, and would refuse to load unsigned bootloaders. As long
13 as the system doesn't have the 'secure boot' feature disabled, the
14 only way for malware to get into the bootloader section will be if
15 it's signed with the keys in BIOS.
16
17 I don't know if this will go the way of Palladium and the TPM. Adding
18 it to the Windows8 certification program gives it some weight; OEMs
19 like being able to put those stickers on their hardware. If Microsoft
20 makes certification necessary for OEM bulk keys, the'll have a great
21 deal of leverage. On the other hand, they make push OEMs over the edge
22 to try Linux systems in retail again. (Yes, I realize that'll only
23 happen if Steam and friends become truly trivial to run on Linux)
26 :wq