From: capsel <capsel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: disappearing hdc
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:05:08
1 On 9/16/05, Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com> wrote:
2 > > When I create /dev/hdc it stays for one reboot.
3 > > These values I've got in /etc/conf.d/rc:
4 > >
5 > > RC_DEVICES="udev"
6 > > RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes"
7 > >
8 > > hdc is a cdrom on my laptop. What can cause this?
9 >
10 > Turn off the tarball option, or create /dev/hdc and recreate your tarball.
11 >
12 > What's happening is upon startup the tarball is used to create the initial
13 > /dev contents. I'm willing to bet the tarball does not have the /dev/hdc
14 > link, therefore it is not being created.
15 >
16 > I know that when I did the udev migration it had some steps to build the
17 > tarball, but as I remember I too was missing the /dev/hd{c,d} links. By
18 > setting tarball to no, udev manually recreates the /dev directory based
19 > upon
20 > the devices themselves so it will be there.
21 >
22 > Dave
27 > --
28 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
31 I did something like that:
32 -I set up RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="no"
33 -rebooted, all hdcX disappeard, and hdc appeard
34 -I set up RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes"
35 -rebooted
36 -there is no hdc*
37