From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] disappearing hdc
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 18:45:42
1 > When I create /dev/hdc it stays for one reboot.
2 > These values I've got in /etc/conf.d/rc:
3 >
4 > RC_DEVICES="udev"
5 > RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes"
6 >
7 > hdc is a cdrom on my laptop. What can cause this?
8
9 Turn off the tarball option, or create /dev/hdc and recreate your tarball.
10
11 What's happening is upon startup the tarball is used to create the initial
12 /dev contents. I'm willing to bet the tarball does not have the /dev/hdc
13 link, therefore it is not being created.
14
15 I know that when I did the udev migration it had some steps to build the
16 tarball, but as I remember I too was missing the /dev/hd{c,d} links. By
17 setting tarball to no, udev manually recreates the /dev directory based upon
18 the devices themselves so it will be there.
19
20 Dave
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list