From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [WAY OT] GUI programming for Linux (and Windows possibly)
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:09:19
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > These days I'm trading stock index futures for a living. I have
4 > data files that I analyze in Excel over the weekend to help me make
5 > decisions about how to trade the coming week, but I'm always fighting
6 > Excel as it really isn't intended for the sort of math I want to do.
7 > The math's not difficult, but I need to look at various ranges,
8 > manage, sort and extract data from arrays, and amd then create charts.
9 > This is getting pretty difficult in Excel these days so I've started
10 > to wonder about writing a simple app to do what I need to do. It's not
11 > generally difficult stuff but it requires (or I prefer) a lot of small
12 > charts. I'm vaguely familiar with C & Pascal, but haven't programmed
13 > in years. I don't know C++ at all. I was trained as an EE.
14
15 Have you looked at using Octave? It's a Matlab clone (and thus very
16 C-like), can output to Gnuplot and you can also create filters of your
17 own and output to Graphviz. The language R can perhaps also be of use,
18 depending on what you wish to accomplish...
19
20 > So the main question is what sort of language (and possibly
21 > programming environment) should a complete novice look at to get his
22 > feet wet with GUI programming. I'd like something fairly light -
23 > performance probably won't be a huge problem - that I could run under
24 > Cygwin or maybe compile to run native in Windows should that ever
25 > become useful. For now it's probably a relatively simple Linux app
26 > that I'd likely run once a week on Saturday morning on 15 to 20
27 > databases I collect on Friday night.
28
29 Why Windows? I'm merely curious, not trying to criticize...
30
31 Best regards
32
33 Peter K