From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] ogg/mp3 volume
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 15:12:41
1 On 21/05/2012 10:51 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 >
3 > On May 21, 2012 9:18 PM, "Andrew Lowe" <agl@×××××××.au
4 > <mailto:agl@×××××××.au>> wrote:
7 > [ze schnipp]
8 >
9 > > Aarrrggghhh, I'm getting confused. More background on my
10 > original question. I work in a liquor store and the manager insists on
11 > playing the usual crappy FM radio station, "MORE HITS WHEN YOU WANT THEM
12 > AND WE HAVE THE BEST VARIETY......blah blah blah". I'm going crazy so
13 > I've loaded up a memory stick with music from my media machine and using
14 > a small Android tablet, play the music through the sound system instead
15 > of the radio. As you can guess this is not audiophile central, a cheap,
16 > quite old "3 in 1" sound system, one speaker one end of the shop,
17 > another in the middle of the shop.
18 > >
19 > > I can't do the turn up/turn down thingy as I might set the
20 > level when I start, and it may happen to be a quiet song. I then head
21 > down the other end of the shop, the track finishes and is then followed
22 > by a loud track, which is most likely excessively loud for a shop. Or
23 > conversely I start with a loud track, set the level and then it's
24 > followed by a quiet track and the shop goes quiet.
25 > >
26 > > I have no intention of applying whatever process to the media
27 > machine, the tracks on that remain as ripped. I only want to "fiddle"
28 > the tracks on the memory stick. As this is on an Android tablet, quite a
29 > cheap one at that, I'm also not sure how whizz bang the media player is
30 > so if I can get away with the tracks being as "standard" as possible
31 > would be good - my reading earlier on in this thread leads me to believe
32 > ReplayGain may not, although I'll prepared to test, be supported.
33 > >
34 > > So with that background, normalise or ReplayGain?
37 > LOL don't tear your hair out, bro :-)
38 >
39 > My suggestion:
40 >
41 > 1. Go find someone with a PC, install "foobar2000" music player, load
42 > all your tracks, and let it apply Replaygain
43
44 Already have that covered, it's what I use on my research computer at Uni.
47 > 2. Go to the Android Mark... uh, Google Play Store, and search for
48 > "replaygain". There are several music players that will honor replaygain
49 > tags. Some of them are free.
50
51 Looks like something called "DeadBeef" will handle the situation. I'll
52 install that tomorrow and test.
55 > Rgds,
58 Thanks for the info,
59 Andrew