From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] ogg/mp3 volume
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 14:53:46
1 On May 21, 2012 9:18 PM, "Andrew Lowe" <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
4 [ze schnipp]
5
6 > Aarrrggghhh, I'm getting confused. More background on my original
7 question. I work in a liquor store and the manager insists on playing the
8 usual crappy FM radio station, "MORE HITS WHEN YOU WANT THEM AND WE HAVE
9 THE BEST VARIETY......blah blah blah". I'm going crazy so I've loaded up a
10 memory stick with music from my media machine and using a small Android
11 tablet, play the music through the sound system instead of the radio. As
12 you can guess this is not audiophile central, a cheap, quite old "3 in 1"
13 sound system, one speaker one end of the shop, another in the middle of the
14 shop.
15 >
16 > I can't do the turn up/turn down thingy as I might set the level
17 when I start, and it may happen to be a quiet song. I then head down the
18 other end of the shop, the track finishes and is then followed by a loud
19 track, which is most likely excessively loud for a shop. Or conversely I
20 start with a loud track, set the level and then it's followed by a quiet
21 track and the shop goes quiet.
22 >
23 > I have no intention of applying whatever process to the media
24 machine, the tracks on that remain as ripped. I only want to "fiddle" the
25 tracks on the memory stick. As this is on an Android tablet, quite a cheap
26 one at that, I'm also not sure how whizz bang the media player is so if I
27 can get away with the tracks being as "standard" as possible would be good
28 - my reading earlier on in this thread leads me to believe ReplayGain may
29 not, although I'll prepared to test, be supported.
30 >
31 > So with that background, normalise or ReplayGain?
34 LOL don't tear your hair out, bro :-)
35
36 My suggestion:
37
38 1. Go find someone with a PC, install "foobar2000" music player, load all
39 your tracks, and let it apply Replaygain
40
41 2. Go to the Android Mark... uh, Google Play Store, and search for
42 "replaygain". There are several music players that will honor replaygain
43 tags. Some of them are free.
44
45 Rgds,