From: Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange problem with audio CDs
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 07:12:14
1 On 01/13/11 01:37, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:48 AM, Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I can't seem to get audio CDs to work with my drive. Data CDs work
4 >> fine, I can mount the filesystem and read them. Data and Video DVDs
5 >> seem to work fine as well. But when I try to listen to an audio CD, I
6 >> get the attached errors in log.bz2. I've tried using things from KsCD
7 >> to cdplay; everything gives the same errors. Googling seems to indicate
8 >> that there might be a problem with udev somehow, but most of those that
9 >> I find have the "fix" as "update to the latest udev using apt/rpm/other
10 >> binary distro package tool", which obviously won't work for Gentoo.
11 >> Other solutions seem to be "update to libATA", but I'm already using that.
12 >>
13 >> I've gone through and tried to check anything obvious in my kernel
14 >> config, but I can't see anything that'd affect it like this. Also, if I
15 >> reboot into Windows (this laptop is a work computer as well), it plays
16 >> and rips the same CDs just fine.
17 > I wonder if udev is creating the correct device nodes for the cdrom?
18 > What are the programs looking for? Do you have /dev/cdrom in your
19 > system?
20 >
21 > Check /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules to ensure it looks
22 > right (in case you had a big change in your system config, like IDE ->
23 > SATA or something)
24 >
25 > This command might give you some clue what's happening when those
26 > errors occur if udev is involved:
27 > udevadm test /class/block/sr0
28 >
29 Yeah, /dev/{cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw} all exist, and point to /dev/sr0:
30
31 jmoe@aus8617 ~ $ ls -l /dev/{cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw}
32 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jan 14 2011 /dev/cdrom -> sr0
33 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jan 14 2011 /dev/cdrw -> sr0
34 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jan 14 2011 /dev/dvd -> sr0
35 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jan 14 2011 /dev/dvdrw -> sr0
36 jmoe@aus8617 ~ $
37
38 And if I try to mount a data CD or DVD, or watch a DVD, I have no
39 problems. It's only audio CDs that give me issues.
40
41 Jake Moe