From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange problem with audio CDs
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 15:39:24
1 On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:48 AM, Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I can't seem to get audio CDs to work with my drive.  Data CDs work
3 > fine, I can mount the filesystem and read them.  Data and Video DVDs
4 > seem to work fine as well.  But when I try to listen to an audio CD, I
5 > get the attached errors in log.bz2.  I've tried using things from KsCD
6 > to cdplay; everything gives the same errors.  Googling seems to indicate
7 > that there might be a problem with udev somehow, but most of those that
8 > I find have the "fix" as "update to the latest udev using apt/rpm/other
9 > binary distro package tool", which obviously won't work for Gentoo.
10 > Other solutions seem to be "update to libATA", but I'm already using that.
11 >
12 > I've gone through and tried to check anything obvious in my kernel
13 > config, but I can't see anything that'd affect it like this.  Also, if I
14 > reboot into Windows (this laptop is a work computer as well), it plays
15 > and rips the same CDs just fine.
16
17 I wonder if udev is creating the correct device nodes for the cdrom?
18 What are the programs looking for? Do you have /dev/cdrom in your
19 system?
20
21 Check /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules to ensure it looks
22 right (in case you had a big change in your system config, like IDE ->
23 SATA or something)
24
25 This command might give you some clue what's happening when those
26 errors occur if udev is involved:
27 udevadm test /class/block/sr0