From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eth0 = pcmcia + usb adapter
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 07:00:21
1 On Wednesday 13 February 2008, Simon Turner wrote:
2 > Strange it took almost a day before I could see my post! Guess I was
3 > "moderated"...
4 >
5 > Hi Mick,
6 > Thanks for the reply. I've gone through about 4 kernel recompiles,
7 > each time wondering with question marks over my head, sure I had
8 > everything compiled in... I ended up adding pretty much anything
9 > that would be related to "PCI", "USB", "PCMCIA", "SCSI"... with the
10 > exception of the modules specific to some hardware I clearly dont
11 > have.
12 >
13 > I kept a copy of my .config each time, so, I will be able to study
14 > what I changed between the 3rd and 4th recompiles.
15 >
16 > I have to say, it was my first adventure playing around with the
17 > kernel, and I reached a high level of frustration, impatience but the
18 > level of my greed kept being at the top and I'd say it simply changed
19 > my life! =)
20 >
21 > I just find "make menuconfig" a bit confusing when searching for
22 > things... a simple grep on Kconfigs is so much better sometimes:
23 > `find /usr/src/linux/ -name "Kconfig" -exec grep {} -Hn -e "USB"`
24 >
25 > Someone told it wasn't correct to edit the .config directly (most
26 > probably because of depencies), but is it possible, at my own risk?
27
28 Not sure, because I've never done it! I keep using make menuconfig for edits.
29
30 To find a particular driver in the maze of the kernel tree you can of course
31 spend hours studying it line by line, enabling and disabling each branch as
32 you go along (in six months you'll know it all by heart). Alternatively, you
33 could get a life and decide to press / while in menuconfig and enter some
34 suitable search terms. Also, I often cat .config | grep -i <search_word> to
35 find whether I have enabled something or other.
36
37 After you compile a good kernel that does exactly what you want it to do, then
38 copy its .config into any new kernel fs that you emerge and run make
39 oldconfig instead. It'll prompt you for the changes and keep all your old
40 settings which you know work.
41
42 HTH.
43 --