From: Simon Turner <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eth0 = pcmcia + usb adapter
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 01:49:12
1 Strange it took almost a day before I could see my post! Guess I was
2 "moderated"...
3
4 Hi Mick,
5 Thanks for the reply. I've gone through about 4 kernel recompiles,
6 each time wondering with question marks over my head, sure I had
7 everything compiled in... I ended up adding pretty much anything
8 that would be related to "PCI", "USB", "PCMCIA", "SCSI"... with the
9 exception of the modules specific to some hardware I clearly dont
10 have.
11
12 I kept a copy of my .config each time, so, I will be able to study
13 what I changed between the 3rd and 4th recompiles.
14
15 I have to say, it was my first adventure playing around with the
16 kernel, and I reached a high level of frustration, impatience but the
17 level of my greed kept being at the top and I'd say it simply changed
18 my life! =)
19
20 I just find "make menuconfig" a bit confusing when searching for
21 things... a simple grep on Kconfigs is so much better sometimes:
22 `find /usr/src/linux/ -name "Kconfig" -exec grep {} -Hn -e "USB"`
23
24 Someone told it wasn't correct to edit the .config directly (most
25 probably because of depencies), but is it possible, at my own risk?
26
27 Thanks, Simon
28 --
29 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list