From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eth0 = pcmcia + usb adapter
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:46:44
1 On Monday 11 February 2008, Simon Turner wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I'm having trouble installing gentoo on my old laptop... It says it
4 > can't find the interface eth0. I believe it has to do with the fact I
5 > have a pcmcia card with usb ports on which a usb2eth adapter is
6 > plugged.
7 >
8 > On another system I use on that laptop, it usually tries to
9 > recognize my net adapters first (doesn't find any), then recognizes
10 > pcmcia cards which enables support for the usb adapter, then in my
11 > rc.local I have to manually setup my ip address or tell to use dhcp.
12 >
13 > Hmmm, from inside the gentoo system, I found lsmod was empty (which
14 > could be normal as I wanted everything compiled in the kernel) and
15 > lspci was not found...
16 >
17 > I'm pretty confortable with everything exept these pcmcia cards... if
18 > anybody could give me a hand!
19 >
20 > Thanks, Simon
21 >
22 > Below are extracts from my current system (slax6rc6, livelinux based
23 > on slackware)
24
25 # lspci -v will show you more detail. So, should lshw, when you install it.
26
27 From the listed modules these seem to deal with your cardbus:
28
29 yenta_socket 24076 3
30 rsrc_nonstatic 11776 1 yenta_socket
31 pcmcia_core 33684 4 3c589_cs,pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
32 pcmcia 32172 1 3c589_cs
33
34 Build the relevant USB drivers for your machine into the kernel.
35
36 HTH.
37 --
38 Regards,