From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout2/openrc question
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 11:08:30
1 On Thursday 04 February 2010 12:14:52 Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 21:06:54 -0600, Dale wrote:
4 > >> The bad thing is, since python is not a "system" package, it
5 > >> doesn't even save the last compiled binary
6 > >> in /usr/portage/packages/All/ if you only have buildsyspkg in
7 > >> make.conf. It does portage but not python.
8 > >
9 > > That's because python is no longer an essential requirement of Gentoo. It
10 > > is a dependency of portage, but Gentoo now supports multiple package
11 > > managers, so portage is not required either.
12 >
13 > That's true but unmerging python still breaks portage. Talking about
14 > some other package manager doesn't affect portage and the fact that
15 > removing python breaks it. The facts still remain the same as before.
16 > Remove python and portage is broken.
19 How about a portage feature request?
20
21 The contents of @system can have dependencies. Put a setting in a conf file
22 which means the system uses portage, therefore python is in @system.
23
24 Without the setting, python does not get included in @system.
25
26 I have no idea how this would fly, it's just an idea off the top of my head
29 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com