From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [konqueror] Can't invoke and editor when `view source'
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:15:37
1 Håkon Alstadheim <hakon@×××××××××××××××.no> writes:
2
3 > I have this same problem on some machines. Notably the ones where I've
4 > put the most cruft in .emacs. I suspect that there is some bug that
5 > stops garbage-collection from happening during startup so emacs runs
6 > out of memory. Somehow having a tty attached works around that. A way
7 > to test is to launch emacs in the background from a terminal (with &
8 > at the end). If emacs hangs, I do "fg" in the shell and hit enter a
9 > couple of times and emacs will (sometimes) continue its initialization
10 > process.
11
12 Here emacs starts immediately with emacs &
15 > A better work-around than firing off emacs in the foreground is to
16 > make more of your .emacs do AUTOLOAD rather than REQUIRE or LOAD.
17
18 There must be more to it since mine doesn't hang at all started
19 outside of Konq.
20
21 > Better yet is to have emacs-server or gnuserv running, and putting
22 > emacsclient/gnuclient in the browser "editor"-config.
23
24 This may be the best... I see that as one of the options in the
25 Konqueror dialog. But I've never really messed around with
26 gnuclient. Well rather, once years ago I tried it and never really
27 found it very usefull, or had trouble keeping it running smoothly
28 maybe. I don't recall anymore.... just recall an urge not to mess
29 with it...
32 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list