From: "Håkon Alstadheim" <hakon@×××××××××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [konqueror] Can't invoke and editor when `view source'
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:00:52
1 reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
5 >> Don't know the first thing about emacs, but it may need bringing up
6 >> a terminal first which in turn runs emacs. You may want to try
7 >> selecting the "Run in terminal" or invoke it like so:
8 >>
9 >> xterm -e /usr/bin/emacs
12 > This should not be a factor with X enabled emacs. And in fact calling
13 > emacs at a cmd prompt just brigs up emacs in it own window, not
14 > another xterm.
15 >
16 > However, and surprisingly it does work... Inserting the xterm -e
17 > command at:
18 > right click/ open with/ other
19 >
20 > Brings first an xterm which immediately spawns a new emacs window (not
21 > in the xterm but on its own)
22 >
23 > I'm pretty sure this is not what SHOULD happen though. I SHOULD be
24 > able to just insert /usr/bin/emacs since it does not run in an
25 > xterm. But... thanks .. at least I can edit a page with emacs now.
28 I have this same problem on some machines. Notably the ones where I've
29 put the most cruft in .emacs. I suspect that there is some bug that
30 stops garbage-collection from happening during startup so emacs runs out
31 of memory. Somehow having a tty attached works around that. A way to
32 test is to launch emacs in the background from a terminal (with & at the
33 end). If emacs hangs, I do "fg" in the shell and hit enter a couple of
34 times and emacs will (sometimes) continue its initialization process.
35
36 A better work-around than firing off emacs in the foreground is to make
37 more of your .emacs do AUTOLOAD rather than REQUIRE or LOAD.
38
39 Better yet is to have emacs-server or gnuserv running, and putting
40 emacsclient/gnuclient in the browser "editor"-config.