From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [konqueror] Can't invoke and editor when `view source'
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:26:50
1 Håkon Alstadheim <hakon@×××××××××××××××.no> writes:
2
3 > reader@×××××××.com wrote:
4 >> Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
7 >>> Don't know the first thing about emacs, but it may need bringing up
8 >>> a terminal first which in turn runs emacs. You may want to try
9 >>> selecting the "Run in terminal" or invoke it like so:
10 >>>
11 >>> xterm -e /usr/bin/emacs
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> This should not be a factor with X enabled emacs. And in fact calling
15 >> emacs at a cmd prompt just brigs up emacs in it own window, not
16 >> another xterm.
17 >>
18 >> However, and surprisingly it does work... Inserting the xterm -e
19 >> command at: right click/ open with/ other
20 >>
21 >> Brings first an xterm which immediately spawns a new emacs window (not
22 >> in the xterm but on its own)
23 >>
24 >> I'm pretty sure this is not what SHOULD happen though. I SHOULD be
25 >> able to just insert /usr/bin/emacs since it does not run in an
26 >> xterm. But... thanks .. at least I can edit a page with emacs now.
29 > I have this same problem on some machines. Notably the ones where I've
30 > put the most cruft in .emacs. I suspect that there is some bug that
31 > stops garbage-collection from happening during startup so emacs runs
32 > out of memory. Somehow having a tty attached works around that.
33
34 A little more on this. Do you mean it works just fine on some
35 machines as well?
36
37 Something to test your theory... (I tried it here with no better
38 results) is from Konq, right click/open with/other and put /usr/bin/emacs -Q
39
40 Which will start emacs with no site-file or ~/.emacs being loaded.
41 I tried that here but still just got the bouncing emacs icon/cursor.
42
43 Can you start emacs without problems from konqueror at right
44 click/open with/ on any machine? I mean without `xterm -e emacs'
50 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list