From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Want same ol' gentoo on new box
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:36:27
1 > > Actually, you can replace your world file provided you use "emerge
2 > > --emptytree --deep --newuse world", and portage won't complain that
3 > > packages aren't installed as the emptytree tells portage to (rightly
4 > > in this case) assume nothing is installed yet, including portage
5 > > itself.
8 > Oddly enough, I just added a package that I don't have installed to my
9 > world file, and did emerge -uvD world and it didn't complain (or remove
10 > it from my world file). I know this hadn't used to be the case though.
11 >
12 > So yeh, I guess you can just copy the old world file across and do
13 > emerge -e world.
14
15 I think that there may be problems with adding a package that had
16 dependencies that you don't already have installed.
17
18 Adding a package, as you did, that has all dependencies already satisfied on
19 your system probably would work.
20
21 But I'd still be worried that adding a package that does not have
22 dependencies satisfied to the world file would not be a good thing (unless
23 of course you are using the emptytree option).
24
25 Dave
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list